Sunday, October 24, 2010

funny the way it is

i am a huge college football fan.  one of the things i can't stand is a t-shirt fan (like most texas fans), people who didn't go to school there, couldn't get in if they tried, and talk more trash than anyone else.  it maddens me to no end that someone picked a popular team to follow for no real reason other than the fact that they're good, then proceeds to dog my team every chance they get.

my biggest rule for trash talking is this - if you went to school there, you're allowed to do it.  if you didn't, support your team but keep your mouth shut.

well, a while back i called someone out on a situation on facebook and they didn't like it.

let me start by saying this person is a texas fan.  texas plays in the big 12 south.  this person was openly rooting for oklahoma state.  oklahoma state is in the big 12 south.  there's issue #1.

oklahoma state was playing texas a&m.  i went to texas a&m.  there's issue #2.  i called this person out and told them it was kind of contradictory to be a texas fan and root for oklahoma state, since they're technically rivals and all.

let me also say that this person has routinely talked trash to me about how good their football team is.  the football team of the school they didn't go to.  in the state they're not from.

needless to say, i was not happy.  since i have to deal with this fairly regularly, i decided to put an end to it on my side.  i removed this person as a friend on facebook.  we probably never should have been friends anyway, because in any social setting i likely wouldn't be friends with this person.  childish?  maybe.  do i feel better about not having to deal with it anymore?  more than you'll know.

the funny thing is, as soon as it happened this person went to facebook to discuss being "unfriended" due to football.  which is a part of it.  but the bigger picture is that this person annoys me, plain and simple.  the fact that they had to go to facebook to get some reassurance from their friends that i was silly and immature for doing it just made me feel even better about my decision.

i'm not perfect.  but i won't apologize for not wanting to deal with this when i don't have to.

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you... have you never realized how much money those schools make from merchandising revenue? Every shirt that gets sold is money into the till. The very act of purchasing their logos, memorabilia, whatever, is funds to make their programs stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may be missing my point. My issue is that these people have no affiliation with a school, other than the fact that they bought a t-shirt. When that's the case, they have no basis to smack talk because they have nothing invested other than said t-shirt. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil, you're right. And I'll let you get away with that one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a Texas fan. I did not go there. Got in, but chose to attend another school. Wish I wouldve done things differently but thats not the point now. I dont really talk trash about other schools, especially not those in Texas (the SEC can suck it). I get your point but please realize that not all Texas "t-shirt" fans are ignorant. And that being said, I agree that TCU is better than A&M, and the for that matter, every other big 12 school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, not all of them are ignorant. But the point I'm making is, don't feel like you can talk trash to me, as someone who went to my school and "earned" my fandom. By all means, pick your team and root for them. But also understand there are certain rules to follow unless you want to be mistaken for a jackass.

    ReplyDelete