Thursday, September 9, 2010

cannonball

it's amazing to me, the power of music. in my life, music has been there every step of the way.

one of my earliest memories is putting a hall and oates tape on in my mom's oldsmobile. the only problem was that the tape had been sitting on the dashboard and had melted. we couldn't get the thing out so my mom had to drive to the fire station so my dad could fix it. bad mikey...

in 4th grade, i discovered rap music. it started innocently enough, listening to ll cool j, run-dmc and non-threatening things like that. then in middle school, i traded my dj jazzy jeff and the fresh prince tape to my friend ed ashton for a too short tape. who got the better end of that deal?

from then, i was hooked. it morphed into nwa, ice cube, geto boys, etc. and was essentially all i listened to until high school. in 9th grade, i had a rediscovery. i found pearl jam, soundgarden, nirvana, smashing pumpkins and those led to weezer, the breeders, green day and so many more.

i can remember sitting in mrs. brashear's 11th grade english class listening to cannonball and always doing to drumstick intro.

i know some people think of me as a music snob and i take it as a compliment. the funny thing is, i'm really not. i see myself as a less pompous version of rob gordon from high fidelity. i enjoy listening to the jonas brothers alongside joe jackson, miley cyrus next to the killers. however i refuse to listen to that new canadian girl, justine bieber or whatever her name is.

what has music done in your life? do you have a playlist for when you're depressed, like i do? do you still make mixtapes for people (albeit on CD's now)?

2 comments:

  1. I love this topic. I can remember exactly where I was the first time I heard Alive by Pearl Jam - Schwartz public pool in Houston. Changed my life. And more recently, my girls melted my heart when they started singing along to Band of Horses in the back seat of my car instead of asking for Lady Gaga. My go to when I'm feeling down - Blue October or The Cure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I heard Jeremy was at my parent's house - Reese Schulte and I were watching MTV and when it came on I was like, "Whoa, what is this?"...

    Braden tends to like hip-hop and classic rock. But the thing I really love is that he always asks to listen to The War Hymn before his baseball games.

    When I'm depressed, it's Ryan Adams, Elliott Smith, Counting Crows and lately, The Avett Brothers...

    ReplyDelete