Thursday, July 29, 2010

don't panic

as any loyal follower of the various incarnations of my blogs (if there are any) can attest, i am pretty much obsessed with music. most, if not all, of my entry titles are song titles.

the one above comes from one of my favorite soundtracks, garden state. i have, in the past, been completely anti-soundtrack because i feel like they're sometimes stale, forced, and don't inform the tone of the movie they're representing. garden state changed that attitude for me, and now i have reigned in my hatred of soundtracks to something more closely resembling apathy.

getting back to me being a freak over music, i can pretty much relate any era in my life this far to a song. for instance, when i hear "meet me halfway" by kenny loggins, i think of "over the top" (the greatest movie about arm wrestling ever made). which makes me remember that i saw it at willowbrook mall with my friend phillip anderson. which leads me to remember that we drove past a fuddruckers, at which point phillip said something completely inappropriate for a 9 year old to say in front of my mom.

so i'm curious, what soundtracks mean something to you? and what memories do particular songs evoke from your past?


1 comment:

  1. Well like most girls in the 80's, I had the soundtrack to Dirty Dancing. I can remember listening to it on my Walkman while laying on the top bunk of the bunk bed I shared with my sister and being amazed that Patrick Swayze actually sang She's Like the Wind. The other soundtrack that always takes me back to high school and the early days of dating my now husband is The Crow. We listened to that album constantly!

    ReplyDelete