Thursday, January 13, 2011

feel good inc.

this is the first entry in an ambitious new series that i'm starting - my favorite songs of all time.  pretty bold, i know.  but this will be more than just a list.  i'm going to explore my feelings toward the song in question, what emotions i feel when i hear it and try to generalize why it's one of my favorites.

we begin with "in your eyes" by peter gabriel.  my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) and i were watching say anything, we were probably seniors in high school at the time and we decided that it would be our song.  we even danced to it at our wedding and whenever it comes on the radio i always think of her.

different people have different takes on the meaning of the song, but that's what makes music so great.  it's open to interpretation so you can make it about anything you want, even if it's not what the songwriter intended.

my view of "in your eyes" is that the narrator is saying his love for this person is what keeps him sane.  wherever he may go, he always ends up back with her where he belongs.  many people see this as a testament of faith, a relationship with God.  i can definitely see that side, but for my purposes i'll stick with the romantic love view. 

this song makes me think about all the ways i love my wife and how lucky i am to have her in my life.  i feel like a teenager whenever i hear it because i'm instantly transported to the early times in our relationship when everything was new.

the years have changed us but i still love her as much, if not more, than i did back then.  and "in your eyes" reminds me of that every time.  it's a great song by an underrated artist from a movie that helped shape my views of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment